Madras Christian College
Madras Christian College traces its origin to the General Assembly School founded by the Rev. John Anderson, a Missionary from the Church of Scotland on 3rd April 1837. Anderson was a pioneer in introducing English medium education in South India. He was ably assisted by Rev. Johnston, Rev. Braidwood and Margaret Locher Anderson. Rev. William Miller who arrived in 1862 upgraded the school to a college by adding F.A. and B.A., courses in 1865 and 1867. Along with a few other Protestant missions in Madras, Miller transformed the institution and named it ‘Madras Christian College’ on 1st January 1877. Miller’s bold academic vision, supported by the generous contribution from his family members, old students and the Madras Government raised the most impressive array of college buildings and hostels (student homes) opposite the High Court complex. Miller was succeeded by worthy leaders like Professors Skinner, E.M. Macphail, Meston and Hogg.
Login To Write A Review.
Tambaram East, Tambaram, Chennai