Women’s Christian College
Women’s Christian College was founded on 7th July 1915 as a joint venture of 12 missionary societies from the UK, USA and Canada, under the able leadership of the first Principal, Dr. Miss Eleanor McDougall,with 41 students and 7 faculty in Hyde Park, a rented premises in Kilpauk. Declared a first grade college in 1916, WCC purchased the imposing Doveton House built circa 1798 and set within 11 acres of slyvan surroumdings along the banks of the River Cooum in Nungambakkam, using a gift of $25,000, generously donated by the Women’s American Baptist Fellowship Missionary Society from the legacy of Mrs. Laura Spelman Rockefeller. The College shifted to its new home on College Road on 5 July 1916 and as the number of students grew, bought up 2 adjacent parcels of land and buildings bringing up the total acreage to 20.
Login To Write A Review.
51, College Rd, Opp Standard Chartered Bank, Nungambakkam